Hardwood flooring and wall color combinations can be beautiful, if you pair them properly. Finding colors that complement each other before having your new hardwood flooring installed, can make your Reno/Tahoe home really stand out.
Today I’d like to discuss some of the best wall color and hardwood flooring combinations I’ve seen. Pairings which are the most popular and beautiful, for every room in your home or office.
How to Choose Your Wall Color
If you’re planning to redecorate a room, playing with paint swatches can be a lot of fun. It can be tempting to run to the paint store and look for a color to build your room around. However, I have found it is much easier and more effective to build your color pallet from the floor up.
Choose your hardwood flooring first. Then furnishings. Then window treatments. Once you have those dialed in, you can consider wall colors. You’ll choose a wall color to match or contrast with the tones selected far more easily that way. There are infinitely more paint colors and shades than there are wood tones and stains.
Wall Colors for Light Tone Hardwood Flooring
Light hardwood floors tend to make the atmosphere bright. Lighter hardwood flooring tones allow you a wide range of options in choosing the color for your walls. Here are a few tips:
- Light and Neutral. Your walls and trim in a light and neutral tone look great almost anywhere.
- Off White. Your walls will look clean and neat. If a stark white is just too clinical for you, tone it down with an off-white shade.
- Simple Gray. Off-white too light for your taste? Gray is also a neutral color. Gray has a large number of undertones, so be sure to choose the tone that fits your decor.
Wall Colors for Cherry (Dark) Hardwood Flooring
Cherry hardwood floors are stunning. They’re always so rich and inviting. The wall color you choose to pair with them should be equally as beautiful.
- Simple White. White walls on Cherry creates a striking contrast.
- Sage or Olive Green. Green contrasts perfectly with red, making those colors a natural complement for rich cherry hardwood flooring. Just remember to avoid green shades with yellow undertones.
- Cool Blue. Blue will create a peaceful space, making it popular in modern homes. It pairs perfectly with a cherry hardwood floor.
- Reds or Terracottas. Warm colors will work well, unless you’re concerned that this pairing may be too intense for your style. Perhaps painting one wall as an accent, then the other three in the safer color. Use the accent wall as the focal point in the room; featuring a fireplace, or a wall of artwork.
Wall Colors for Oak (Medium) Hardwood Flooring
You should consider whether you have white or red oak before making your selection for paint color.
- Red Oak. Red oak hardwood flooring pairs well with colors like yellow or apricot. Creating a warm, cozy effect. You might consider pastels, aquamarines and darker blues as well.
- White Oak. A rich charcoal color on your walls will create a classy, formal look for your living or dining rooms. This flooring also looks good with pastel walls showing just a hint of color.
Allow an Artisan to Help You Chose
Hear at Artisan Hardwood Floors, we have a long and successful track record of helping people from all over the Reno/Tahoe area turn their dreams into reality. We will help you chose just the right hardwood flooring, install it in the most professional manner, then help you chose the best wall color combinations for that beautiful hardwood flooring.
Contact me today so we can start building your dreams.
Master Craftsman, Owner